Thursday, July 7, 2011

That's the Story of Us

I haven't given you much background into our today is your LUCKY day! I will explain how this little party of 1, turned into a party of 2 and then quickly into a party of 3!
I was born and raised in Oklahoma and went to college in Kansas (ROCK CHALK!). I had so much fun in college, loved the state of Kansas and couldn't imagine ever leaving there after I graduated. My sister (and best friend)her husband and baby moved to Kansas two years after I moved there so I never felt homesick and really thought that is where I would end up when I was done with school (insert God laughing). After 4 years and a degree in Elementary Education, I felt restless. I prayed and prayed that the Lord would give me peace and direction on where he wanted my life to go. I kept feeling a pull towards going home (Oklahoma), but I didn't know why.
College Track girls

Our drinks were so hard core...gah, we were cool.

 When I finally surrendered and decided to go home, I felt at peace. This doesn't mean I was excited or happy to go home, I just knew that Oklahoma was for some reason where God wanted me to be. My parents, my brother and his family all live in Oklahoma, so it's not like I would be alone, but  I was nervous because all of my old friends had moved out of state or I just didn't want to be friends with them anymore (they kind of resembled the gang of 90210....just doing the same ol' thing since highschool). I decided I would make new friends and start fresh..again.
When I got home, I decided the best place to meet people was in my church running group! Let me tell ya, I was NOT looking to date. I had come out of a loooong college relationship, and I was just wanting to meet some girlfriends and focus on work. That's exactly what happend! I met a few girls that I quickly became close with. We hung out for a bit and then one night they invited me to a superbowl party at some of their guy friends' house (which turned out to be Mr. T's house). I met Mr. T. for the first time...but I wouldn't exactly call it love at first site. Don't get me wrong, I thought he was a hotty with a body right away, but one of my new friends was really into him and I didn't want to step on any toes so I just let her have him. Apparently, he wasn't into her...or so he says:)

This is our "just friends" stage. That's why he's lurking in the background like a creeper.
After about 6 months of hanging out in big groups, Mr. T and I became closer friends and realized that we had a lot in common. He invited me out to "take our dogs to the park to swim"(insert Spike and Luke's bromance) and we really hit it off.
Our furry wing men.

 The sparks (yes, there were sparks) kind of caught us both of guard, so we kept playing it cool. We would meet for a morning run each morning and then "casually" go to dinner or take our dogs to the park in the evening...but no kissy. ANNOYING! I think kissing is so important and it quickly shows if there is any chemistry, plus I thought Mr. T was hot so I wanted to smooch him. We played those annoying dating games (don't answer his phone call. He might think you're desperate!) for a while. I thought he wasn't into me since he wasn't giving me any lip and he thought I wasn't into him, but that I was into his ROOMMATE?! (insert puking). Finally, right before I got fed up with the whole "he loves me, he loves me not" crap, we kissed. It was the fourth of July weekend three years ago. Apparently there were sparks (corny I know), because after that day all the games stopped and we were "together". Or as we liked to say, "We're just seeing what's there."

Race with my family in KC

Sure, you can borrow these sweaters anytime.

Camping with friends

The Mud Run. So much fun...So hard!

We said our first "I love you." on October 31st 2008 (while I was dressed as cookie monster and he was dressed as Clark Kent) and then got engaged on August 25th 2009 at the same park where we had our first date.

 I HATE the cold weather so I didn't want to get married in the winter, but I wanted to get married soon and didn't want to wait until spring, so we decided to have a wedding in the fall. In less than 3 months. We set the date for November 14th, 2009 and with a LOT of help from my mom, sister, his mom, step mom and his three sisters, we pulled it off! The wedding was beautiful with all of our family and friends there.

We immediately left for our honeymoon in Mexico. It was beautiful and we had a lot of fun (obviously, bow chica bow wow. Sorry dad). Little did we know, how much we should have soaked up the quiet time...Our lives were about to be changed.

Fast forward again for December 12,2009. My birthday. We celebrated with a quiet dinner where we talked about what a whirlwind of a year it had been and how much fun we had together. We planned our future and talked about when we would start having kids. We both decided that we would start trying after 2 years of marriage (insert God side splitting laughing). Perfect plan.
Fast forward TWO days from then....I was late. Ol' aunt flo was supposed to visit me on the 10th, but I assumed with all the stress of the wedding and my entire life changing that I had just been a little late. On December 14th at work, I realized I was still late! I started thinking "oh crap (or expletive) what if I'm pregnant?? No, I can't be! I'm on birth control sure I took an antibiotic one month before the wedding, but it was out of my system..right? And we JUST got married! I can't be pregnant." I told myself I wouldn't call Mr. T at work, because there was no point in stressing him out......
Five minutes later, I was on the phone with Mr. T explaining to him that I was late. I was so nervous that I started crying and breaking out in hives! Thankfully, I had my own office so I could do all of this in privacy. I still had a few hours left of my workday and they seemed to DRAG on.
As soon as the clock hit 5:00, I sped home to meet Mr. T and head to Walgreens. He ran in and got a digital EPT test and we drove home. We didn't speak the entire time. I went to the bathroom and took the test and then immediately started waiting for the results. PREGNANT. In huge bold letters, the test told me my future. I broke down in tears (sorry Isabelle, I love you so much now) and Mr. T stood in shock.
After about 30 minutes of hysteria, I calmed down and realized that clearly this wasn't my timing, but I knew God had a plan. I could also see that Mr. T was ecstatic about it, but being sensitive to me, he tried to hide it. I was the one whose life was immediately changing. He still had 9 months to prepare!
We then drove to Borders to read all about pregnancy and babies. I guess we thought we had better study up or save up for child counseling later. We stayed in the bookstore, just long enough for me to get excited and also so nervous about delivering a baby that I thought I might pass out in the middle of the store.

Baby Shower.

The last night where it was "just the two of us"
Fast forward 9 months. We meet the most beautiful, amazing, gift God could of ever given us. She was born at 6 lbs 9oz and 21 inches long. We had complications during delivery (entire new story there) so we had an emergency C-section. The first time I heard her cry was the happiest/most relieved I have ever been in my entire life.

First time holding Isabelle

A little sleepy after a busy day

We got to share our "honeymoon stage" with her, which isn't what we expected but worked out perfectly.The more I see her and her daddy together, the more I fall in love with both of them. I can honestly say, there is nothing more attractive than a good dad. So our honeymoon stage was filled with pregnancy cramps, mood swings, exhaustion, poopy diapers, sore boobs (atleast they were big!), puke, loads of laundry and mushy food. But it's our life. And we are thankful everyday to live in it.

Just the three of us....for now.


Cajun Cowgirl said...

So sweet that you have this written down for that baby girl to read one day! I agree that there is nothing sexier than a good dad and am blessed to have one in my husband! Have a great weekend!

Laura said...

Well now I feel like I know you! What a sweet story. I was an elementary Ed major too--again with the blog soul mates!

...and I am kind of obsessed with your Halloween costumes. Hilarious!

Chels said...

What an amazing story, and very cute! I would like to have kids as soon as Craig and I are married, we have been dating for about 2 years now, so I figure by the time we are married it will be perfect. You have a wonderful family that God has blessed you with.

Erin said...

I am SO glad to hear a story from someone who was slightly mortified to find out they were pregnant. I had a very similar experience. I was planning to start law school one month after we found out we were expecting. This was certainly not my plan, but God had other ideas apparently. I love Baby J more than anything but I was in hysterics when I found out! The poor doctor who told me I was pregnant must have thought I was crazy!

This is a beautiful love story!

Neon Blonde Runner said...

I read every word of that story, like it was a best seller novel. What crazy twists when you don't expect it!

Thanks for sharing!

Ashley said...

What a beautiful story... Your time line is very similar to ours, except we did things a bit backwards. My son turned one as of June 10th, so your's must be right around there.

It's crazy to find people that are so similar, I too am an elementary educator (art)... stayed teaching however. Can't afford to be a SAHM, at least there are summers.

Danielle said...

What a great story! You guys are adorable!