Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Mean Girl?

 "But now you must also rid yourselves of all such things as these: anger, rage, malice, slander, and filthy language from your lips." Colossians 3:8

This is what I read this morning in my women's devotional. Many mornings, I can just skim through my devotional while drinking my coffee and going through my routine. This verse hit me like a ton of bricks.

As you know, I have a daughter. I am also a girl (shocker right?!) so I know all there is to know about growing up as a girl and the pressures that come along with it. I know all about mean girls. Sadly, I fight myself daily to fight the urge to let my tongue slip and say things that are judgemental or just plain mean.
I now see the girls that dress more provocatively or are loose with their decisions as sad. I don't feel any anger towards them. I don't feel judgemental like I used to. I just just feel sad. Something made them turn towards those decisions. We are all a product of our decisions.

Having a daughter made me realize that everyone started out as an innocent child and everyone has a story.

The more I watch my words and show love, kindness and compassion, the more my own daughter will learn from my examples. Because kids are constantly learning.

Whether we like that or not.

I have to rid my life of slander so my daughter will turn from it as well.
Because mean moms often times make mean girls.

That's a lot of pressure for moms to take on, but I think we signed up for that. I pray that Isabelle embraces the people that are "different" and shows love and compassion for the people that are often times forgotten in our society and the people that can't repay her.

Because isn't that was unconditional love and grace is all about?
You didn't honestly think you could get out of here without a Harry Potter quote did you?

1 comment:

Laura said...

One of the things I pray about often is that God will shine through me to my children. I want to set that example for them. There are SO many things to protect them from now...it's scary! It's amazing how having a child can make you see so many things differently!