Tuesday, January 3, 2012

New Year, New Obstacles

This year has already started off with a bang. I set my resolutions and I am not one to not finish what I start....even when there are a few obstacles.
This morning started my new training program for the Boston Marathon. I am really excited to run the race and to have something to actually train for. If you are thinking of running and you want to get motivated..pick a race to run and then train for it. I have tried a million different things and that little tip is the only one I know that is tried and true.
I have been running for what seems like, a million years. I came from a family of runners. My mom ran the Boston Marathon with me when she was pregnant. My dad ran a 2:46 marathon in his glory days, and still runs with my mom about 40 miles a week....they're 62 years old.
My sister has the state record in the half mile in track and ran Division 1 at the University of Oklahoma.
My brother ran a 5:01 mile while he was playing college basketball and on a diet of beer, doritios and pot. Apparently someone forgot to tell him that is not an appropriate athlete's diet. 
So, it's safe to say that running is in my blood.
I grew up playing soccer and then in high school, I ran track and cross country exclusively. I went to the University of Kansas where I also ran cross country and track all 4 years. I ran the New York City Marathon with my sister, mom, and aunt immediately after I graduated college. I ran during my entire pregnancy and I ran my second marathon when Isabelle was 8 months old. I have been blessed enough to have a healthy body that can handle running.
While in college, I averaged around 50-60 miles a week. When we ran, we ran around a 6:45 pace per mile on our "easy" days. We raced every weekend in huge venues against women from around the world that are now running for their countries in the Olympics. I have pushed my body to the point of exhaustion many, many times.
Or at least I thought I did.
Apparently, I didn't know what exhaustion really was until I had a toddler. About a month of not sleeping because of either a cough, an ear infection, teething, or just because she is off her schedule during the holidays, leads to EXTREME exhaustion for me. Last night, I went to bed at 9:30 because I knew my first day of training would take it out of me so I needed the sleep.
Isabelle woke up at 10:30, 1:30,3:00-4:00, and then finally for the last time at 6:15. Since she has been sick, we can't just let her "cry it out". I have a Saint for a husband, who shares the responsibility of getting up with her as well or there is no way I would function.
When my alarm went off at 6:20, I knew my time was up. I didn't have time for excuses. The plane tickets have been bought. I can't put any of the runs off. I only have 15 weeks. It was time to get up and find out the exact definition of extreme exhaustion. 7 miles at a 7:15 per mile pace in 21 degree weather will wake up you pretty quickly.
It was awful, but I finished. Day One.

My Training buddy: The flying golden doodle



My other Training buddy: The old, fast Lab. He has to take a lot of potty stops, but don't let the gray beard fool you. He's a tough ol' fella.
My trusty Best Friends
My lover. Always there for me, and puts me in a much better mood.

 So I guess Nike was onto something when they said, "Just Do it", but good Lord, that's much easier said than done.
Here's to 2012!

3 comments:

basebell6 said...

i know i've said this before, but you are amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!! good luck with your goal!

Erin said...

Those look like some pretty great training buddies :) You can do this girl!

Ashleigh Nichole said...

good luck with your goal sweet girl. I am sure that you will do great :) ps I so love the helpers with you those two are pretty cute I must admit curls & grey beards both :)